Friday, March 4, 2011

Galveston & Houston, Texas

We left New Orleans on Wednesday afternoon, heading to Texas. We didn't have anything booked, so this time we were just winging it. We got to Houston area later in the evening, about 8pm and began our search for a hotel. The GPS took us to the Pasadena Inn, just outside of Texas, which defintiely was not a nice looking place so we stole their wireless internet and booked a hotel online in Galveston, which looked really pretty and was right across from the Gulf of Mexico.

We stopped at the tourist information center, which was closed so we just looked at the map of Texas to find a city that was on the coast.
We got a beautiful hotel in Galveston, it was a Hilton and from our balcony you could see the pool, hot tub, and the beach (you can see in the background where the palm trees are... that's the gulf and the beach). Unfortunately because we were so close to the gulf, even though the temperature in Aleksys jeep said it was 21 degrees, it felt really cold and I had to wear my coat a lot of the time. We had planned on having a beach day, but it was too col for that. Even the pool was sooo cold!
The night that we got to Galveston, we asked the hotel receptionist what bar/pub place they recommended, and they recommended a pretty sweet pub with $3 pints. It was pretty strange going from New Orleans where it was a huge party, to Galveston where it seemed everyone is in bed by 10pm, yet they were advertising Mardi Gras in Galveston. We played a couple games of pool and had a beer and some pizza then headed back to the hotel.

We were on a mission, since we were in Texas, to find a road house serving some delicious BBQ. We succeeded in finding this place with super cheap beer and MEAT!! Lots of MEAT!!

Beans are the vegetable of the state of Texas apparently, and all of this MEAT and beers cost $47 for 4 people! What a bargain! I might add that the meat was all tender and delicious, especially the pulled brisket.

We headed into Houston to do some shopping when in Texas, and found a pretty ritzy mall with stores that not only I couldn't afford, but wouldn't even feel comfortable walking into. The regular stores were on the lower floors, but we came in by the Chanel, which isn't usually my shopping spot (I'm actually quite sure I've never seen a Chanel store before). I did find a "normal" store though and bought a new ring and some new sandals for the great price of $20.

On the last day leaving Texas, we arranged for some horse back riding around the Houston area. It was $35 a person for an hour. I started by riding this horse in the picture, but he was 33 years old and I got bored quickly because I had no idea how to make him go faster, so I switched to Chelsea's horse who didn't need to be kicked to go. I almost fell of my horse (I was actually convinced at that time I was going down), but I made it through! I left with some sore legs and a popped blister from the saddle but still managed to have an awesome time. I think next time I ride a horse, I'll need some direction! I want to take some lessons in the London area.

After riding some Texan horses, we thought we would complete out Texan experience with shooting some guns. This place was also just outside of Houston, and was the best place by far to go! I was very hesitant to shoot a gun at first but once I got the guts to do it, I shot 3 more times! I didn't load the gun (Aleksy did that for me) but I still feel quite satisfied that i shot 2 different guns, 4 bullets total). Everyone else shot the other 196 bullets!

After finishing our bullets, we got some pictures outside the shooting range.

After shooting guns, we decided to head back to London town. From where we were, only 1516 miles to go (yes that MILES! sooo far!). On the way home we stopped in Baton Rouge for a night, where we found a hotel with gross bed bugs and had to get a refund and re-locate. We found a nice Days Inn without bed bugs in a different part of the city. Then we continued along our drive and our last night we spent in Kentucky at the Best Western. We definitely ate a lot of Subway and gas station food on the road! And we got home Sunday afternoon!

Road trips: highly recommended. I think if I were to do another one, it would be to California! 

No comments:

Post a Comment