Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas Festivities of 2011!

Christmas festivities started early this year. Brooklyn and I started off the holidays with volunteering at a kiosk in Masonville where we gift wrapped Christmas presents with the proceeds going to Big Brothers Big Sisters. It was the second time that we had volunteered this year, the first time being at the beginning of shopping season (Dec 2) which wasn't nearly as busy! It is great for Brooklyn because she gets the volunteer experience and she has started working on her volunteer hours for high school.

We were very proud of this difficult to wrap present. We managed to wrap a 6 pack of beer in a bucket and still make it look great: this is proof!
Brooklyn and I at the gift wrapping kiosk at Masonville.
The very next day, Brooklyn and I got together again to do a gift exchange and so I could attend her "Winter Wonderland" presentation where she plays in the band and sings in the choir! This year Brooklyn's really into reading so I made her a book-themed gift with a couple books, some snacks, a gift card to Chapters and a plum reward card.

 This year I wanted to do thoughtful gifts for the people in my life and stick to a budget. So back in November I decided to do themed gift baskets with a $20 limit for everyone. We chose themes based on everyone's interests and over 2 months collected various things that went along with the theme (even free things here and there that were relatable like 3D glasses for the movie themed basket and travel magazines for the travel theme). We did a travel theme for my Dad and is girlfriend, movie theme for Steph & Kenny (my sister and bro in law), poker for my bro Mike, student for my bro Matt, Sailboating for my Mom and Paul, a couple "relaxation" themed basket, date night basket and my personal favorite for Al & Steph: Hillbilly Deluxe for our country music loving hillbilly friends! This included a John Deer catalogue, deer hunting card game, beer, beef jerky, pepperettes, a burned CD with Country music, homemade BBQ sauce and homemade corn bread!

 My tins of annual Christmas baking for everyone :) This years contents included: peanut butter balls, chocolate peanut butter bars, ginger snaps, almond cookies, magic squares, pecan cookie squares, haystacks, sugar cookies, and brownies.

 Our first day of family Christmases was Christmas Eve. We went to Aleksy's parents during the day and saw his Dad's side of the family and did some gift exchanging. Then afterward we headed to my Moms for the evening for Christmas turkey dinner. I got this shot of everyone at the table just after supper!

 Just before starting to open the presents... Rachel a nice wanted a nice close spot to the presents!  
 This year I bought tutu's for all the little girls in my life from lil chelsea bun hair accessories: an independent business run my a Mom in Milton (referred to by a friend at school!). I also bought headbands with flowers for an extra feminine touch! To go with Rachel's new accessories, I signed her up for ballet (or "preschooler dance") starting in January! She is going to be the cutest little ballerina ever!

Aleksy and my gift basket from  my Mom and Paul. Some delicious wine: a VQA Cave Springs white and red (the red we already enjoyed!)

 My sister and I always seem to dress the same. Especially on Christmas! Christmas day we had different colours on!

Christmas Day
On Christmas day we had 2 dinners to attend. We started at Aleksy's parents in the afternoon with Aleksy's Mom's side of the family then headed over to my sisters at 5pm. 2 turkey suppers in one day!
 Rachel thought it was funny to put on safety goggles with the Christmas hat! Shes so cute.
 Aleksy and I on Christmas day :)
 On Christmas day, my younger brother Matt was sick and couldn't make it for supper. But he bought a bottle of wine for supper, which was an Italian bottle that cost more than what we usually pay for a bottle of wine (we usually top out at $10!). To show our appreciation we took this picture! It was delicious pinot grigio!

No comments:

Post a Comment