Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ilderton Fair: Year 2!

After all of our enthusiasm about finding the gem of a fair last year in Ilderton, we couldn't miss the fair this year! We went on Saturday September 28th. We even invited our friends along so they could see what all our fuss was about.

 We took our little Colton for the journey too. Here's us with Colton, enjoying a little fresh apple cider.
We watched the same rodeo as last year with the little kids lassoing cattle. I feel that animal activists would protest this activity hardcore because I have to admit it hurt my heart for those scared cows!
One of the things that I did notice as we were sauntering about is that they did take the animals back to their farms at the end of the day (around 6pm) rather than keeping them couped up. That made me a little happier for the animals, but I also feel bad for them to have to drive in the trailers.

Here's Aleksy and Colton after watching the 100 lb kids try to move the 500 lb cows...
 I love the contests at fall fairs!! This pumpkin was over 500 lbs. In this same area was the best vegetable display, best oddly shaped vegetable, best couple vegetable (2 that look the same).

We also saw all the baked goods that in competition from pies to cookies to carrot cake to "anything baked by a man" (seriously).
This here was the only disappointing part of the fair. They completely sold out of turkey legs!! :( The turkey legs were possibly one of the best things about the fair. They must not have expected so many people because many of the stand were out of pulled pork too.

We got these pulled pork sandwiches from what we think was the last stand that had pulled pork, but they must have been running out of bbq sauce because there was hardly any on the sandwich and it was dry :( Luckily these delicious baked beans spiced up my sandwich when I put it on...
And of course, we spent some time in the beer garden for some cold beverages to go with our pulled pork, baked beans, and slaw. Even Colton loved it... look at that happy face!

The kids were singing karaoke in the beer garden just like last year!
We got this shot just before grabbing our homemade cookies and huge bag of fresh apples to take home. We have now gone through almost the whole bag and its time to go apple picking this weekend! Can't wait!
And with all the apples that we bought from the fair, I made a delicious apple crisp on Sunday! And after making this, I made chocolate banana squares. Yum!

And many more apple desserts to be made with all the apple we pick this upcoming weekend :)

1 comment:

  1. I was thoroughly disappointed in the lack of turkey legs and SAUCE! Those beans though were by fat the best I have ever had! I can't wait for you to bake again soon with apples so I can eat EVERYTHING!!! The crumble was so good that you made! Ilderton Fair year 3??? I think so!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete