Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween 2013!

This post is dedicated to the exciting Halloween/Aleksy's birthday associated events!

At the beginning of October, we babysat our Rachel while my sister, Kenny and Brandon attended their friends wedding. That weekend, we harvested up our front porch with the Heemans porch package, and carved a pumpkin with Rachel!
Rachel and Aleksy unloading the pumpkin guts. Rachel told me I didn't have to because I may ruin my nails... so considerate!

We kept all the pumpkin seeds aside for a delicious snack with our Despicable Me 2 movie later that night (along with the chocolate chip cookies we made).
 We asked Rachel to design the pumpkin, and she was really into the circles. While she was ok with the job Aleksy did with carving the eyes, she informed Aleksy he did the mouth wrong (she even had a picture of her expectations for the pumpkin drawn down on paper!). Aleksy then added all these extra details like earrings and eyebrows to make up for her disappointment!

Because we carved our pumpkin the first weekend of October, by Halloween it was rotten and we had to throw it out (actually well before Halloween!).
And our costumes this year: Cruella Deville and her dalmatian, with our Joker photobomber!
This was our first Halloween party we went to: my Mom and her husband have a party each year and it was the weekend before our party (the 19th). We had our costumes all prepped for their party but the only difference is by our party the following weekend we were able to find a doggie collar that fit around Aleksy's neck!

My Cruella Deville costume: easy peasey with no sewing required and a total of about $28.

Aleksys costume: surprisingly the bigger challenge at the cost of about $25, running around to many stores looking for white pants/longjohns, and hours of sewing those damn little spots on!! Those pants (that I sewed) were thrown across our living room a few times!
This is the final products of preparations for Aleksy's birthday/halloween party at our place! I made a veggie tray look like a scary jack-o-lantern (and I got the 10 lb bag of carrots for only $1.88!), The little pumpkins are orange coloured chocolate that I melted and covered the pretzels with and picked out the green m & ms for the stem.
Unfortunately this year our good friend who makes the amazing cakes wasn't able to come, so I was left fending for myself for the creative cake. I made this pumpkin shaped cake: the face is from an icing tube and the green is melted chocolate! I dyed the icing orange with food colouring. I was quite proud of the way it turned out (its no Tabi cake, however i managed to make it look like a pumpkin!). I'm not going to lie though, the cake was from a betty crocker box, and the icing not homemade! And the last dessert in the picture with the wormies and dirt was a "puff pastry" dessert I got from a Facebook page with layers of crackers, cool whip, and pudding. We ate this for days after Aleksy's party. It has been a really unhealthy week!
All of our party people! This was the timed photo that we wanted to capture everyone and have no one left out! We decided not to re-take but clearly we should have because i see Al's hand in his face!
Here we have some b-dancers in the back (sorry zac and sam... can't see you guys past us :( ), Cruella and her dalmatian, Joker: Brandon (who was supposed to have a batman and catwoman to go with his costume but he got ditched by his parents):, Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus: Steph, Al & Colton, 2 football players: Andrew and Nicole, a monkey & a whoopie cushion: Andzelika and Paul, a ghostbuster and slimer: Kenny and my sister, the cutest little firefighter: Rachel, and 2 army people: Chelsea and Warren!

And of course, later in the evening, Aleksy blew out his 7 candles (with the help of Rachel) and we all indulged in cake (which I continued to indulge in when everyone left at 1am).

1 comment:

  1. I can't say thank you enough for the amazing birthday party you put together for me! I loved every aspect of it from the food to the costumes! I absolutely loved your pumpkin cake, the wormies in dirt and the pretzel pumpkins! You are absolutely amazing and I love you to pieces because of it! Thank you so much for another wonderful birthday and for being the amazing person you are every day!

    Love always, ME!

    ReplyDelete