Thursday, December 9, 2010

Death by Advertisements

Ok, so I didn't die, but I definitely was bombarded.

Aleksy and I went to a Knights game tonight (the Knights lost... boooo!) and I thought I would write a short note about the amount of advertising that was at the game. Unreal! There was not a place to look where I wasn't given a visual of something I should be purchasing or consuming. Advertisements everywhere: the ice, the score box, the seating, voices, the zambonis, and even floating around in the air. When the Knights scored a goal, did you know that the goal was brought to you by Harveys? really?

 In this single picture, I can immediately pick out over 20 different advertisements... without even looking at the boards of the ice.
                                              









So, when you are exposed to over 100 advertisements in one sitting, does it really work? Am I filing all the information subliminally into my subconscious so the next time I see a Harvey's, I'll want to pop in for a burger because I am remembering a great goal? Maybe. But, no matter how hard I tried, I definitely could not pay good attention to everything that was advertised to me in the 3 hour time period I was at the JLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment