Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Graduation Timing: Not so Good

My pathway after graduate is ideally Child Welfare. It seems that this may not be the best time for me to seek out employment in that particular area with the recent cut backs that have affected various Child Welfare agencies. My intention is to work permanently in London once I have completed my degree (less than 4 months to go!) but according to this article in the London Free Press, the agency is currently at a $4.2 million deficit and therefore is cutting the number of kids in care by 25%. I'm not sure how the agency is supposed to cut the number of children in care (if children have been made crown wards, it is because they were in need of protection... the agency cannot control how many children are in need of protection at any given time, and cannot control whether the children have adequate family members to take care of them - many do not) but it seems that if their intention is to cut kids in care, that the natural trickle down effect would mean that there are less staff needed, thus less need for new graduates like me.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/12/16524806.html

It also isn't looking much brighter for employment in neighboring cities (which I would be happy to commute to work due to the nature of the job) considering Huron-Perth was on the verge of closing down entirely a mere 2 months ago (before being taken over by the government). I have high hopes of acquiring a full time position once I return back from Australia and I certainly hope that I am able to despite these cut backs!

No comments:

Post a Comment