Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Delicious creations of mine!

A couple weekends ago, we celebrated Tabi's birthday at her new apartment where just us girls: Nikki, Tabs and I celebrated with a night of drinks, Swiss Chalet, and hanging out on mattresses in a freshly painted apartment!

Because Tabi makes cakes for everyone else, I figured that it was time for Tabi to have a cake made for her. So I made this delicious strawberry cake (with strawberry jello powder and fresh strawberries and whipped cream/cream cheese icing... yummm!!) for Tabi. I figured that since we were going to eat a delicious birthday cake, we should definitely have it paired with chocolate covered strawberries so I dipped this little guys up too. I am very impressed that all this stayed in tact on the drive from London to Kitchener.
We ate that cake with a 3 forks....

Lets change the food discussion to supper. Aleksy and I have been in a super rut: this means that we continue to recycle the same suppers over and over and I swear that we buy every vegetable at the grocery store and I am waiting for a "new" vegetable to appear.
black bean salad with salsa, salmon with veggies, chicken caesar salad, and any meat really with peppers & onions is out go to.
So... I found a new recipe, with a new source of protein, tempeh to try out. It is a vegan & vegetarian recipe... but it was oh so delicious. The only set-back to this recipe was that I had to make it in 2 parts:

The first part is these: sweet potato biscuits.
I made these the night before so the meal would be less prep the next day.
I got the recipe here (its actually an inspirational blog... take a meander!):

http://hungryhealthymj.com/tag/sweet-potato-biscuits/

I did follow the recipe for the most part: I used regular unbleached white flour, and whole wheat flour and they turned out great!
This is the full meal of the sweet potato biscuits with the tempeh gravy (also from the same site!). In the gravy was a package of tempeh (which I bought at an asian food market), white beans pureed in the blender and many seasonings (all that you would have in your cupboard already... except sage... I had to buy sage. I think it smells like weed).

Sooo carbaliously good! This was for supper last night and it won't be the last time.


So long, supper rut... 

1 comment:

  1. I need you to make those cupcakes again SOON!!!!!! I ate 3 of them the night you made them ;) and of course washed it down with some JD ;) I'm excited to eat the leftover tempeh and biscuit for lunch today!

    Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete