Sunday, August 16, 2015

Baby C's Shower #1!

Sunday August 9th was baby C's shower with my side of the family and close friends! My sister, Steph organized the whole thing from the sailboat/nautical theme to the decorations to the food (with a little help from my awesome friends for the food!). It's a weird feeling having a shower thrown for you. It feels a little something like "come hang out for a couple hours and don't forget your present": makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. But I have really amazing family and friends and almost everyone was able to make it despite summer busyness (with the exception of some of my social work friends who live in the GTA and some work friends) and everyone was way too kind with their gifts for baby C. He got seriously spoiled and I am feeling so prepared for baby! Plus, Aleksy's Mom and Aunt are throwing another shower later this month with Aleksy's side of the family, which will make me feel even more prepared... Baby doesn't even know how lucky he is yet to get to meet all the awesome people we know!

I bought this pink dress end of May/early June as a potential dress for Aleksy's Aunt's wedding. I bought 2 dresses because these days, I am never sure what is going to fit me and what isn't. Lucky for me this dress still fit for my August shower! But seriously, just barely. I think if I tried it on this weekend, I would find that it no longer fits because everything gets so short in the front (because its non-maternity... maternity clothes can be pretty frumpy).

Aleksy took this picture before the shower!
The shower was to start at 1pm so I showed up a bit early around 1230 in case of early guests. Actually, most people come to showers a bit late... everyone seemed to arrive at once between 1:10-1:20pm.

Before everyone arrived, I took a picture with the cute nautical decorations and my sister (who also decorated herself nautically with navy and white and striped shoes!). The banner behind us says "It's a Boy" with some sailboats and anchors and you can see the sailboat on the dining room table behind us. This sailboat was for us to keep and will go in baby's room!
There was so much awesome food and desserts prepped for the shower. My sister bought enough appetizers and finger foods to feed an army, my friends helped with fruit & veggie trays and Chels made pinwheels (which are my speciality and Steph thought Chels had made them for my parties!). And of course, Tabi being as awesome as she is made these watercolour nautical shortbread cookies that say "Baby Chwiecko"
But Tabi doesn't mess around when she bakes... she goes big! So I also had chocolate and vanilla cake pops (with the sailboats on top), red velvet cupcakes (my fave), and chocolate and regular shortbread shaped into nautical shapes.

I took what was left of these home and they are long gone... baby wanted them!
Aleksy, me and baby C got so many thoughtful gifts from everyone. And everyone got us such practical gifts! We now have lots of clothes for baby (before the shower we only had a few onesies) in lots of sizes, our car seat & stroller and highchair! Plus we got lots from our registry so what we have to buy for baby before his born is next to nothing now... thank goodness because baby stuff adds up so quickly!
This is my aunt and my cousin displaying the little ice cube baby that was for one of the games. The first person to free the baby from the ice cube was the winner! I now have a lot of little babies because I thought they were fun and took them home! I really enjoyed hearing Kenny talk about going to the store to buy these babies and that 4 other people had bought little plastic babies that same day!

We also played the game where everyone had to write as many boy names with every letter of the alphabet within a minute, and a game where everyone had to guess how big my tummy was with a piece of string (Annette got it almost exactly!).
The delicious DQ ice cream cake! The top says " Ahoy, it's a boy!" with a blue sailboat! There was no shortage of dessert...
Tabi also made these amazing favours for everyone: shortbread cookies with a paint your own sailboat.. you just dip the paintbrush in water and use the colours on the chocolate shortbread piece to paint! And its all edible. I don't know how she comes up with these things...

Aleksy and I are super excited about baby's new wheels! My Dad and his girlfriend were way too generous to get us our stroller, the Citi Mini GT! Baby's gonna be rolling in style and it's super lightweight, folds the easiest and turns into a jogger (you just lock the front wheel!). Feeling so prepped for baby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment