Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Civic Holiday Monday: August 1st

After trying on about 4 different occasions to rent a canoe, we finally succeeded on the holiday Monday! Although the Fanshawe conservation area advertises that they have canoes for rent, they actually only have 4 which are always rented out unless you go right when they open at 8am (I don't get up THAT early on weekends!).

Although we lucked out by being able to rent a canoe, we also got a wee bit ripped off because it was a holiday and the park closed early so we only had a few hours to canoe. Because, we were not going to get the full 4 hours that everyone else gets for $20, Aleksy bargained with the nice lady and she gave us free freezies for the inconvenience! We didn't use the full amount of time that we 

 My Aleksy: always in the back steering.

 I know that my steering skills would not be up to snuff so I take the front: less responsibility! And less strength needed (I think?).
 These areas scare me: so shallow I'm afraid we're going to get stuck... and because these areas are usually close to the trees at the edge of the water.. there could be anything there.. bugs, snakes, spiders (which get a mentioning of their own because they're that nasty).

A beautiful spot! We went under that bridge and made it a little further until we couldn't go any further because it was shallow and narrow, but it was really pretty! Aleksy sometimes does the biking trail at the conservation area and apparently this bridge is a part of the trail. 

We got a map for the hiking trails at the conservation area too... since Aleksy has paid the day fee so many times to go biking, we now have a park pass and get in for free so I definitely want to hit up the trails.


Later in the evening, we went out with Warren, Andzelika and Paul and we tried out the new (I think it's new) burger place downtown: The Works.

It was kind of like Relish, the burger place on Wortley. You get to choose the kind of patty, and bun and then there's approximately one million choices of stuff to have on your burger (onion rings, peanut butter, whatever you want!). I had Brie, mushrooms and red peppers! delic! We also had a tower of onion rings before our Burgs and they gave several different dipping sauces for them which were all really tasty. I highly recommend this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment