Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Events of August Long Weekend 2011

Following Al and Stephs wedding on Saturday, I wanted to ensure that we spent some good quality time in the great outdoors considering it was a) the long weekend and b) beautiful weather with the exception of the rain that seemed to only occur overnight or in the morning (to our advantage). So Sunday, after scrambling around to 3 different stores to find replacement tubes for my bike, Aleksy fixed my bike (obviously I had no part in that, I made lunch for us instead) and we headed to the Thames trail starting from Spring bank park.

 Aleksy, being a bit more adventurous than myself (mostly because I'm terrified that my cheap little bike would die) and going into the woods to check things out. This is still at the beginning of our journey... not far from the parking lot at Springbank.

 Me riding across the street heading into Harris park area (where the splash pad is!). 


Also Harris Park :) Plus, following this we made it all the way to the university! I definitely prefer doing the trail along the Thames then city bike riding, which terrifies me because of cars. Now that my bike is fixed, I plan to have more of these afternoons (or evenings following work) to bike ride.

Following our daily adventures in bike riding, we headed down to the rib fest downtown in Vic park.

We chose this one for our ribs because they are from Lobo. Very close to London. Much rather support the local business than the American businesses!

The boys like their meat a little more than me, they had full racks and I had a half rack (with the sides of beans and slaw... a real classy meal). It was about $22 for the full and $15 for the half. We found a good place in the beer tent, limited seating but we snatched one just as people were leaving.

 And they were delicious! Fall-off-the-bone goodness.

 Naturally after I ate supper, I wanted something sweet. I was seeking out some delicious funnel cakes or something of the sort, and I came across a place that had deep fried Mars bar. My only previous encounter with the deep fried Mars bar is at the Palasad, so I was exicting something similar. But then I got this pogo looking food item on a stick. Not so delicious either. Like a pogo-battered semi-warm mars bar. I didn't eat it all.

This is what a $7 cold beverage looks like. Those Lemonade stands must make a killing! Lemons, water, plastic (and perhaps sweetener of some kind) and we're looking at closing in on $10.

The rib fest is always worth going: the crowds, food, and beer are good. Music a little loud this year. Hopefully we'll get to go again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment